Saturday, April 15, 2006

Things I Will Miss About England

One day I will leave these lands and head for pastures new (Spain is the likely destination). Consequently, I often wonder what things I will miss when I eventually do leave. So here is my list of things I will miss, in no particular order:

  • The BBC - quite simply the best information/entertainment service in the world.
  • English breakfast - mmmm the sausages, the egg, the saturated fat......
  • NHS - yes it is suffering, but what a noble ideal
  • Marmite - love it or hate it, it's here to stay....HOORAY!!
  • Sunny summer days, hard to believe at the moment I know, but you can't beat our summers
  • English strawberries - I'm addicted ok!!
  • Teletext - so simple, yet so wonderful
  • Trips to London - the world's capital city
  • Roast dinners - a Sunday ritual
  • Ricky Gervais - a comic genius
  • Have I Got News for You - not what it once was, but still the finest example of televised satire
  • English breakfast tea - the essential start to the day
  • Crumpets - ideal accompaniment to afternoon tea
  • A curry - life could not survive without a weekly dose of jalfrezi

Blimey, I almost want to stay here!!! And yet, there are so many things I hate about this country:

  • the right-wing press
  • the fact that any change is greeted with alarm bells
  • nationalists destroying this country
  • rampant apathy to the political process
  • the pompous superiority complex that seems to infect the entire population
  • our complete subservience to the United States
  • our obsession with privatisation

Oh yeah, that's why I want to leave! Be interested to know what other people would miss about England.....

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com