Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Happiness

Do you know what?? Today I am happy. Is it because I have two new visitors posting comments on my site? No. Is it because I have rediscovered the joys of Vitalogy? No. Is it because I have discovered that I can rate the songs I store on my computer out of five stars, prompting much internal debate and fun as I decide which songs merit four or five stars? Sadly not. Well, what is it I hear you cry?? Strawberries. Let me explain.....

As you may know, I take a lot of things in life very seriously. (I have the lack of friends to prove it. They are fed up with me going on about corporate power, governments, see there I go again...I just can't help it, it's like a reflex action). One of these things is refusing to buy fruit out of season, to save on the emissions that go with the transport of these fruit from abroad. It is unnecessary, particularly with fruit that is grown in this country. My problem is this: I dislike most fruit, until the summer comes around. I can't get enough of berries. What's that you say?? Massive human rights violations in Turkmenistan?? I'm alright mate, I got strawberries. Bush is planning another invasion?? Can't talk, got a punnet of raspberries with my name on it. God they are good. So good, they make me invoke the name of a fictional supernatural being.

I think part of the reason I campaign about supermarkets is because I want to make life easier for myself. If all the produce was organic, environmentally safe and fairly traded my life would be so much easier. I wouldn't have to make the effort. And boy, does it take effort. Not only to buy the right thing, but to convince your partner that you are doing it for all the right reasons. But then would I be happy??? I wouldn't be ranting away here, I'd be down my local supermarket going crazy down the organic Pot Noodle aisle (incidentally, christmas dinner Pot Noodle would be a winner. How easy would that be??? No cooking for hours. Just pour on boiling water, stir, leave for two minutes, stir again, add gravy....superb!). Anyway, I digress. It is hard work to keep myself healthy when I only eat summer fruits. But now summer is nearly here, maybe I'll put revolutionary politics on the back burner. After all, there's a punnet of strawberries with my name on it in the fridge.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com